Clan WKRE Forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Clan WKRE Forums!

If anything goes Wrong, Kill the men, Rape the women, and Enslave the children! WKRE!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fane's Redemption

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:06 pm

FANE’S REDEMPTION
By: H. R. M. Fairemont
Chapter 1
First chapter notes – Start the story; begin with introduction of main character, brief history via conversation and recalling of events for sixteenth birthday and swearing of fealty. After swearing of fealty, introduce hateful sister and protective older brother. Begin preparations for war via a quick set of training and gathering of gear, introduce mounts and then head on down towards the docks for boarding of the ships. Continue on as ship-life for a little bit before turning to chapter two.
The sound of the pointed steel of my ceremonial sword being placed before me on the ground rang throughout the eerily silent chambers so loud that I was certain that it could have been heard by everyone in the citadel, but even if it was loud enough to wake the dead, all eyes had already been on me, watching with subtly hidden disdain and hatred. I was the one who knelt before the Dread Lord of Drak’soul, one of the most powerful Mar’thak lords in the kingdom.
“I do pledge my allegiance to you, all that I am, all that I have, all that I will be, is yours. All my deeds are done in your name, my glory and honor is yours, my failures and losses are yours, and you are thusly free to reward or punish me as you see fit due to my actions. I am your hand, your sword, your shield, I kneel before you a daughter of the Mar’thak, a warrior of Drak’soul, I am yours until death, and beyond if need be. To command, to kill, to use, and to wield, forever,” I stated in the dull monotone voice acquired from days of practicing the pledge of fealty to one such as the Dread Lord.
I had been taught by my mother, who had been required to give the same pledge when she married him, and she had to learn the entire thing from whoever it was that taught her. It was likely some servant of high standing, or even one of the other highborn ladies that had been under my mother’s cunning and oppressive thumb.
“Rise, Fane Del’Mireth, now Fane Del’Mireth Lokkur a servant of Drak’soul and that of the Mar’thak. I thank you for your allegiance and hope that your service will be long and enduring and that our partnership in this great struggle of life will bring glory and honor to your name and mine,” the Dread Lord replied as he stood from his throne, the stunningly grotesque ancient armor gliding silently over his body as he spread his arms wide as if to encompass the entire room, stepping down the steps to the throne, he stopped before me, kneeling, eyes and face downcast before him.
It was customary among the Mar’thak society that no child takes their father’s name until they pledged fealty to the Dread Lord. Up until then, they bore their mother’s name, and it served as a way to signify that they were not yet a true Mar’thak. There were occasions, where a father’s name was stained with crime or some other misdeed that brought dishonor on his house, and a son or daughter would dispose of him, giving them the rights of a true Mar’thak, though rising in their own name instead.
My mother’s name had was Mellisandre Del’Mireth, and my father was Ruen Lokkur, and thus, on my sixteenth birthday I became, as was customary with females, Fane Del’Mireth Lokkur, placing my father’s surname after that of my mother’s.
After a moment, he spoke again, asking me to rise and stand before him, and I did. The Dread Lord had removed his mask, baring his face of near flawless perfection, slightly obscured along the edges by the great helm he wore, “Welcome daughter, into the house of Lokkur,” and then he continued with a chuckle. “And now let’s introduce you to these pitiful excuses for nobles and highborns.”
He turned me around, his left hand placed on the center of my back as his other hand rose out towards the gathered crowd, hushed and silent lest they draw the wrath of the great one before them. I noticed some were smiling, some attempting to smile but failing miserably, and others that were scarcely able to hide their scorn. I figured those were the ones to watch out for. My mother always warned me of knives in the shadows.
“Before you all stands a new addition to my family, a daughter of my lovely new wife. She has just turned sixteen and given her pledge of fealty as all do, and thus I am finally able to give her my name to bear. You will treat her with the respect she deserves, and any slight to her is a slight to me. Now let us hear of some of her deeds,” my father, the Dread Lord of Drak’Soul said with scarcely concealed joy, something not often seen expressed from someone of his stature, let alone a Mar’thak!
A man with a scroll came forward from behind the throne, standing on a small pedestal near the bottom of the stairs, a few feet from where Fane and her father stood. He opened the scroll and I felt my stomach roil with anxiety. Compared to my brother, Auskoth, I had very few accomplishments, and even the ones I had were barely anything to brag about in his wake.
This is not good… I was so cooped up around here that I barely did anything! He’s going to skin me alive for this. I thought as the fear grew inside me, knowing that my face likely betrayed what I was feeling to all of the highborns of Drak’soul.
“Fane Del’Mireth Lokkur, third child and second daughter of the Dread Lord Ruen…” the man began and I saw him quickly skim the page before him and I nearly swore when I saw his face light up. “Has achieved the status of master in swordsmanship, archery, and the art of the Black Hand and has been given an official document of recommendation from Lord Ruen’s own Master! She is an expert horseman, as well as a tamer and breeder of several of Hal’s finest horses.. It appears here that she also has received a request of entry into the society of Darkblades…”
I nearly gasped at the start of the feats. I hardly considered myself a master of anything, though when compared to other female members of the different schools I was quite talented, but when I saw my father beaming with pride I figured that he had convinced his old mentor to polish up my status a bit, but then I saw his face contort with outrage, as well as the jaw dropping of the entire room at the mention of the society of Darkblades, I felt the urge to run as far away from my father as possible.
It was then that I noticed the man had stopped reading, obviously afraid for his own well being at the moment, but my father told him to proceed with a harsh command and a tone full of anger.
“She has also mastered the ways of… of… My lord, you might wish to see this,” the reader said in a hushed tone.
My father released me and strode over to the pedestal and nearly ripped the scroll and the man’s arms from his body in one fell swoop. Lord Ruen quickly skimmed over the page as the reader had previously done, and his face lit up with rage.
“Everyone get out! Out now before I flay the skin from all of you!” Ruen screamed.
Men and women of highborn status pushed and shoved in an attempt to escape the Dread Lord’s anger, and fights nearly broke out near the doors where someone somehow infringed upon someone’s space, but as the shouting of the Dread Lord made an impressing crescendo, they resumed their hurry to get away.
When the last of them were gone, Ruen turned towards his daughter, and I shied away nervously or maybe it was instrinctivly? I couldn’t say. To displease the Dread Lord was one thing, but then your father too? Oh, I was in so much trouble! I figured despite whatever was on that page that I would take what came, I at least owed it to my father to show that I was strong

Last edited by Fairemont on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.roleplaycity.com
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:06 pm

FANE’S REDEMPTION
By: Heather Ray Marie Fairemont
Chapter 1
First chapter notes – Start the story; begin with introduction of main character, brief history via conversation and recalling of events for sixteenth birthday and swearing of fealty. After swearing of fealty, introduce hateful sister and protective older brother. Begin preparations for war via a quick set of training and gathering of gear, introduce mounts and then head on down towards the docks for boarding of the ships. Continue on as ship-life for a little bit before turning to chapter two.
The sound of the pointed steel of my ceremonial sword being placed before me on the ground rang throughout the eerily silent chambers so loud that I was certain that it could have been heard by everyone in the citadel, but even if it was loud enough to wake the dead, all eyes had already been on me, watching with subtly hidden disdain and hatred. I was the one who knelt before the Dread Lord of Drak’soul, one of the most powerful Mar’thak lords in the kingdom.
“I do pledge my allegiance to you, all that I am, all that I have, all that I will be, is yours. All my deeds are done in your name, my glory and honor is yours, my failures and losses are yours, and you are thusly free to reward or punish me as you see fit due to my actions. I am your hand, your sword, your shield, I kneel before you a daughter of the Mar’thak, a warrior of Drak’soul, I am yours until death, and beyond if need be. To command, to kill, to use, and to wield, forever,” I stated in the dull monotone voice acquired from days of practicing the pledge of fealty to one such as the Dread Lord.
I had been taught by my mother, who had been required to give the same pledge when she married him, and she had to learn the entire thing from whoever it was that taught her. It was likely some servant of high standing, or even one of the other highborn ladies that had been under my mother’s cunning and oppressive thumb.
“Rise, Fane Del’Mireth, now Fane Del’Mireth Lokkur a servant of Drak’soul and that of the Mar’thak. I thank you for your allegiance and hope that your service will be long and enduring and that our partnership in this great struggle of life will bring glory and honor to your name and mine,” the Dread Lord replied as he stood from his throne, the stunningly grotesque ancient armor gliding silently over his body as he spread his arms wide as if to encompass the entire room, stepping down the steps to the throne, he stopped before me, kneeling, eyes and face downcast before him.
It was customary among the Mar’thak society that no child takes their father’s name until they pledged fealty to the Dread Lord. Up until then, they bore their mother’s name, and it served as a way to signify that they were not yet a true Mar’thak. There were occasions, where a father’s name was stained with crime or some other misdeed that brought dishonor on his house, and a son or daughter would dispose of him, giving them the rights of a true Mar’thak, though rising in their own name instead.
My mother’s name had was Mellisandre Del’Mireth, and my father was Ruen Lokkur, and thus, on my sixteenth birthday I became, as was customary with females, Fane Del’Mireth Lokkur, placing my father’s surname after that of my mother’s.
After a moment, he spoke again, asking me to rise and stand before him, and I did. The Dread Lord had removed his mask, baring his face of near flawless perfection, slightly obscured along the edges by the great helm he wore, “Welcome daughter, into the house of Lokkur,” and then he continued with a chuckle. “And now let’s introduce you to these pitiful excuses for nobles and highborns.”
He turned me around, his left hand placed on the center of my back as his other hand rose out towards the gathered crowd, hushed and silent lest they draw the wrath of the great one before them. I noticed some were smiling, some attempting to smile but failing miserably, and others that were scarcely able to hide their scorn. I figured those were the ones to watch out for. My mother always warned me of knives in the shadows.
“Before you all stands a new addition to my family, a daughter of my lovely new wife. She has just turned sixteen and given her pledge of fealty as all do, and thus I am finally able to give her my name to bear. You will treat her with the respect she deserves, and any slight to her is a slight to me. Now let us hear of some of her deeds,” my father, the Dread Lord of Drak’Soul said with scarcely concealed joy, something not often seen expressed from someone of his stature, let alone a Mar’thak!
A man with a scroll came forward from behind the throne, standing on a small pedestal near the bottom of the stairs, a few feet from where Fane and her father stood. He opened the scroll and I felt my stomach roil with anxiety. Compared to my brother, Auskoth, I had very few accomplishments, and even the ones I had were barely anything to brag about in his wake.
This is not good… I was so cooped up around here that I barely did anything! He’s going to skin me alive for this. I thought as the fear grew inside me, knowing that my face likely betrayed what I was feeling to all of the highborns of Drak’soul.
“Fane Del’Mireth Lokkur, third child and second daughter of the Dread Lord Ruen…” the man began and I saw him quickly skim the page before him and I nearly swore when I saw his face light up. “Has achieved the status of master in swordsmanship, archery, and the art of the Black Hand and has been given an official document of recommendation from Lord Ruen’s own Master! She is an expert horseman, as well as a tamer and breeder of several of Hal’s finest horses.. It appears here that she also has received a request of entry into the society of Darkblades…”
I nearly gasped at the start of the feats. I hardly considered myself a master of anything, though when compared to other female members of the different schools I was quite talented, but when I saw my father beaming with pride I figured that he had convinced his old mentor to polish up my status a bit, but then I saw his face contort with outrage, as well as the jaw dropping of the entire room at the mention of the society of Darkblades, I felt the urge to run as far away from my father as possible.
It was then that I noticed the man had stopped reading, obviously afraid for his own well being at the moment, but my father told him to proceed with a harsh command and a tone full of anger.
“She has also mastered the ways of… of… My lord, you might wish to see this,” the reader said in a hushed tone.
My father released me and strode over to the pedestal and nearly ripped the scroll and the man’s arms from his body in one fell swoop. Lord Ruen quickly skimmed over the page as the reader had previously done, and his face lit up with rage.
“Everyone get out! Out now before I flay the skin from all of you!” Ruen screamed.
Men and women of highborn status pushed and shoved in an attempt to escape the Dread Lord’s anger, and fights nearly broke out near the doors where someone somehow infringed upon someone’s space, but as the shouting of the Dread Lord made an impressing crescendo, they resumed their hurry to get away.
When the last of them were gone, Ruen turned towards his daughter, and I shied away nervously or maybe it was instrinctivly? I couldn’t say. To displease the Dread Lord was one thing, but then your father too? Oh, I was in so much trouble! I figured despite whatever was on that page that I would take what came, I at least owed it to my father to show that I was strong
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Odd thing there, the only man who had ever tried to court me met a rather untimely end… on the end of my sword. He was bothersome, meddling man who sought to raise high by using me. I knew he was a pathetic worm, but the treason he had been plotting was inexcusable, and I didn’t like him that much anyway. So I stabbed him a couple times and left him rotting in a gutter down in the streets. Auskoth was the only other person that knew how the man had died.
“Yup, though I doubt anyone will ever try courting me again anyway. The way father looms over me, you’d think that you hardly existed. Anyone who comes after me will be either extremely brave or extremely foolish.”
Auskoth laughed again, “You’re a strange one Fane, but that’s what I like about you; you’re not like all these other fools. That’s most likely because you’re not a full-blooded Mar’thak like the rest of us. Oh no! Don’t you give me that look, it wasn’t an insult and you know it! You’re a cunning, devious little girl with a heart of cold, hard steel. Not many like you, and not just that, you’re different. You’re not seeking to raise high in the world, just get by. I respect that.”
“Thank you Auskoth, but what do I owe this pleasure of your company too?” I asked him, honestly wondering what he was doing in my tower of the citadel.
“It’s your name-day! I couldn’t go without wishing you luck and giving you your present could I? No, I didn’t think so.”
“What did you get me?”
“You’ll have to see, it’s inside your room.”
Well, that explained why the servants were a bit edgy. They probably figured that I would be upset for letting him in without permission. I’d have to set that straight for them later. Auskoth was one of few people I actually trusted near any of my things.
I pushed open the door and as I was walking in, Auskoth moved swiftly up behind me and placed his hands over my eyes, asking me to guess what it was. I took a few random guesses, things that he likely wouldn’t get me. Books, items of magical properties, and things like that.
When he removed his hands, I gasped and to my extreme embarrassment, squealed like a little girl. Before me was one of the most impressive sets of armor I had ever seen! It was an impressive chain mail hauberk of dark scales; closely knit and when I picked it up it flowed like silk. There was also a set of light plates that were made of steel so solid that I could hardly believe it could ever be even bent. All together it looked menacing and very, very evil. It was the perfect armor for any Mar’thak!
“Ahh, I figured you’d like it, but that’s not all, I got you some other things as well. Look here.”
I turned around and hanging from racks on my wall was a set of swords, two curved long swords that would undoubtedly suit my preferred fighting style perfectly. When I picked them up they were light, but offered a hefty enough weight to give them that lethality they needed. They were impressive to be certain, elegant, yet deadly, they were worth several king’s ransoms by what I could discern.
Above the two blades rested one that took my breath away. Near six feet in length, the massive blade was an ancient pale, bone-white metal. The overall sword was fairly plain, but it gave me the chills to just look at it. I couldn’t imagine ever wielding a blade; it was nearly a foot longer than I was tall.
“Try them, sister. I didn’t get them for ornamental purposes,” Auskoth said with a smile.
I smiled wickedly as I turned towards him, holding the two swords. Auskoth held his own sword in one hand. I knew he was quick and very strong, but he couldn’t keep up with me overly long with just one blade in an actual dual, but it was just a test run.

“Tal’krin and Yrdrim. You’d never guess what I had to go through to get those. Now show me what they can do,” Auskoth said cheerfully as he went into a defensive stance.
I looked at the blades; one had deep purple ripples set in shiny silver steel, while the other sported black. On closer inspection, set within the blade of Tal’krin were hundreds of weeping faces, contorted with extreme sorrow, and on the other, Yrdrim, were countless faces screaming in pain and misery, as if being submitted to the worst imaginable torture
Without any warning to my brother, I darted forward on my left foot, bringing Yrdrim, the purple bladed sword in an upward arc on my right. Auskoth parried it with little problem, holding the hilt of his long sword above his head and blocking with the blade parallel to his body.
I followed up with a swing from Tal’krin, at his right side, but he shifted his blade, blocking without any problem. I pulled back, looking at the blades and he lowered his guard.
“What do you think?” he asked.
I smiled in reply, “They are the best present you have ever given me.”
He laughed loudly, “Oh, you are my favorite sister, of course you get the best presents. You should have seen what I gave Jadyn.”
We both laughed and when finished I put the swords back, and turned back to Auskoth, giving him a hug. He returned it but then pushed me away, “Your mother wants to see you. And besides, Father wants to speak to me about the upcoming raids – your raids, dear sister.”
“Ah, when you go, make sure Jadyn is ok.”
“What did you do this time?” he asked.
“She tried using her magic on me,” I replied acting as if it was a common thing.
He made a sound that could have meant anything and then walked out of my room. I spent a few moments examining my presents before I changed out of my formal attire and into more casual gear; some dark leather armor that most of the Mar’thak warriors wore when off duty. Before I left I made sure to arm myself with a dagger and strapped my old sword to my waist. It wouldn’t be polite, or wise of me to be hauling my new gear around right now.
I made way towards my mother’s apartments, adjoining my father’s near to the great hall. It was more of a formality that my father and mother did not have the same apartments, though they often shared them. Unlike most Mar’thak royalty, they had wed out of love instead of political gain. Ruen had married Auskoth and Jadyn’s mother for the political benefits, but my mother had stolen his cold heart.
The citadel of Drak’soul was as massive as it was impregnable. It had started out as nothing more than a simple outpost fortress, but over time more and more was added to it, until it finally became a massive, dark fortress of the Mar’thak. It was made mostly of walls that ran here and there, joining together at large turret towers, courtyards, moats that were dried up and filled with metal spikes, and finally the great citadel, with its massive spires and walls on the cliff overlooking the Sea of Dragons.
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:07 pm

It took me a while to navigate the randomly placed hallways before I passed the great hall. As I did, two men stepped up to block my passage.
“Fane! Just the person who we’ve been looking for! You have no idea how long it took us to find you,” the older man stated excitedly.
“Hello, Master Urius. To what do I owe this pleasure?” I replied and then turned to the younger man next to him. “And Master Hal. It is good to see you as well.”
Urius chuckled slightly. The old Master of Weapons that had been a good friend to me for many years, and my mentor in the ways of war was a strange one. He dressed in colorful robes that stood out in the dark Mar’thak world and sported a long, scraggly white bear that he liked to stroke absently when he thought.
“I wanted to know if you liked my present. The great sword… I had Auskoth give it to you. Did you like it?” he inquired with extreme excitement.
“Of course! It was one of the greatest things I’ve ever been given. Though, I doubt I could use it,” I replied, looking over to Hal after a moment, wondering what he was doing with the old man.
“Oh… yes, I should have known that. Either way, I’m glad you liked it. It belonged to my grandfather. It’s called Dawn, for whatever reason,” the old man seemed to anger at the mention of his grandfather, who was rumored to have been an assassin who plotted the downfall of the last great Dread Lord of the Mar’thak kingdom.
“Yes, but maybe we can see if we can figure something out later. I’m certain you could teach me to use even that massive thing,” I smiled at him.
Urius had been like a grandfather to me. Ruen’s father had died long ago, back when he was barely eighteen, making him the new Dread Lord, and my Mother’s father was back in Viccaria. Urius had always treated me very kindly and tried to give me all these nice presents, but I think he either forgot that I was a girl… and not six feet or taller and capable of great feats of strength, or he was reminiscing about something that no one could really discern. He wasn’t always all there in the head.
Urius seemed about ready to speak, but Hal cut him off, “I think I have a suggestion, my present for you will make it much, much easier for our good Master here to teach you.
My brain instantly went into calculation mode, Hal being the Master of the Stables had likely given me something dealing with horses, which would then make sense, because if the massive Dawn wasn’t beyond my strength to wield, I could use it from horseback. Still, despite knowing what I was likely getting, I acted like I didn’t.
“Oh! What’d you get me?” I asked with feigned excitement that seemed to fool him.
“You’ll have to come see, I’m certain that it will be to your liking,” Hal said with a smirk.
Who knew what that man was ever thinking about? His life, soul, and mind were one hundred percent in the stables. He could honestly go on, and on, and on about horses or some other thing like that and never get bored, even when other people stopped listening he would just rant. But I liked him anyway.
I almost agreed, but then remembered why I was in the hallways to begin with; telling Hal and Urius that I had to go to see my mother didn’t really seem to bother them. They just argued that I could go see Hal’s present first because it would only take a few minutes. Apparently they figured that my mother could wait; which she probably could, so I agreed to go with them.
We traveled down the halls around to the back of the great hall, and then down a couple flights of stairs to the ground level and headed out towards the right wing of the citadel where we found the stables. The royal stables of Drak’soul were like any other stable I had ever seen. Horses and all things necessary for them were strewn all over. I couldn’t really figure that things were organized, but the way the stable boys went about their business I assumed that they at least knew where things were.
“Over here Fane, come,” Hal stated and I followed him over to a side door that I had never been through before. I wasn’t even sure where it led.
With Urius closely behind me, trailing me like a towering bodyguard, I followed Hal through the door in to a dark room. He struck something and sparks flew, a moment later a torch was blazing in his hand. The room was dark, damp and smelled horrible. I caught the movement of something to my left and nearly screamed when a stable boy walked out of the darkness. Apparently he could see where he was going in the dark.
“This is a place that very few people know about. The private stables of the royal knights, and since you are highborn, you will have your own place in here eventually,” Hal explained.
I knew what the Royal Knights were; they were a regiment made up of entirely highborn, that unlike most regular knights, did not ride horses, they rode the massive Krin. I had seen the beasts before, and Hal had shown them to me, but I had very little experience with them.
“Over here, come quickly Fane.”
I rushed over to a stall, and he held the torch up above the guardrail. Lying on a pile of straw was a young Krin. I knew from what Hal had told me that Krin were great beasts that preferred darkness, but could deal with the light as well. Also, they thrived in the dark, damp areas, and were mostly found in the dark caves of the Mar’Thak homelands. The beast were pack animals, and often would hunt their prey for days at a time, watching and waiting to strike, giving them the nick name Stalkers.
“This one is your present from me. None of the other highborn wanted him. He’s small, but I know from experience that he is fierce and very intelligent compared to most of them. He’ll be a good one for you. Both of you are sort of outcasts, no offense.”
I pretty much ignored the outcast comment as I crouched down and peered through the guardrails, “I’m used to it. So, this is really mine? What’s his name?”
“I hadn’t given him one officially. But I was thinking something along the lines of…S’ath.”
“What’s it mean?” I asked.
“It’s Shadow in the old tongue. I think it a fitting name for such a Stalker,” Hal replied as he grabbed a small vial off of the shelf next to the stone stall of the little beast.
I looked over at him and examined the small vial before taking it from him. He motioned for me to open it and when I did, I took a quick smell. There was nothing there, but S’ath perked up and began sniffing the air excitedly. I knew then what it was. Each of the Krin excreted a liquid from their glands that had no smell to most creatures that any of the Krin tamer’s knew of, and this allowed the beasts to stay hidden, while keeping them from attacking each other in the dark caverns. Every rider wore this on their bodies to keep them safe from the deadly Stalkers.
“Thank you so much Hal, and you too Master Urius. You have no idea how much this means to me!” I exclaimed as I hugged them both.
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm

“Hurry now girl, your mother is likely getting impatient,” Urius stated and as I left the stables I heard the two talking about training S’ath. Those two were quite the pair.
It took me a while to get back up to the great hall and even then to find my mother’s rooms. It seemed that Drak’soul’s hallways changed daily. Stupid castle.
When I finally did arrive at the massive dark oak door that lead to my mother’s chambers, I knocked and entered. Inside the massive room was dimly lit by torches placed at large intervals along the outside walls, and far at the end, my mother stood looking out over the Dragon Sea and part of the city of Drak’soul through a massive window.
When she turned to look at me, I smiled. My mother was dressed in a black dress with a ridiculously large cloak that fell to the ground and pooled around her feet. It looked odd for someone in the Mar’thak city to wear such a thing, but the Viccarii Matron looked every bit the part she was.
Her impressive beauty that I had inherited was not lost over the many years she had lived. If rumors were true she was almost one hundred and twenty, but hardly looked older than thirty. Viccarii had noticeably longer lives than most Mar’thak, something that my mother figured I had inherited as well, if not as potent as her own, at least I would outlive most people. That was if my warlike Mar’thak instincts did not take over and get me killed first.
“Fane! I was wondering when you’d arrived,” she chided playfully as she scurried down the small flight of stairs that led up to the perch at the window where she was standing.
I opened my arms and let her hug me tightly, and as she did so she whispered in my ear: “I have a present for you, but I’m certain you’re getting quite the overload. With what Auskoth gave you, and then Hal and Urius, you have a fortune in your own right.”
I pulled out of her embrace and looked at her, she was smiling proudly. Unlike Mar’thak, Viccarii were not warlike, but were no less cunning and devious. Instead of bashing down your walls, they would pry and pick at weak spots, eventually toppling you without you even being aware, “Father never got me anything.”
“Ah, he gives you your raids. You’ll find your own gifts on those raids. All spoils taken are yours to keep if you wish, though I will tell you now, do not keep all but the things you absolutely want or need or you might find yourself with some rather unhappy soldiers.”
“Yes, I know that much. Auskoth had warned me of that. He also told me that Jadyn had kept most of the stuff for herself, but at the end returned with barely anything when her servants robbed her.”
Mother laughed an eerie laugh that sent a chill through my spine. She always had that effect… It was strange.
“Well, my present for you is not really all that grand, but you will be getting it soon. Maybe tonight, maybe in a week, maybe a month and at most a year, but I believe it will be soon. You will inherit your full Viccarii potential.”
I looked at her, ignorant of what she was talking about. I knew very little of the Viccarii. Other than myself, my mother was the only one I knew, or had ever met to my knowledge. Whatever she had for me, I couldn’t even fathom.
She turned and walked away from me, and then spoke: “All Viccarii around their sixteenth birthday come into their full potential. You will change, your body will. Not noticeably – that is – unless you let it.”

She turned back to me and smiled, a big grin that revealed her teeth, and I noticed that she had fangs. I gasped, and then she held up her hands showing me her nails, which had become longer, and sharp as knives. I had noticed other changes, she had become paler, her eyes had darkened to pools of black, instead of the violet they generally were, slightly darker than my own, and her silver hair had taken on a darker tint.
“You see, we were natural predators before we became civilized. People these days in the south, across the Sea of Dragons have dubbed us leeches. Viccarii are not known to be warlike, but we are known for our bloodlust. In battle, we thrive off the blood of the fallen, and drinking a being’s lifeblood will give you powers beyond that of which you normally have.
“Extreme regeneration, agility, strength, sight, hearing, smell, all your senses, all your abilities will be amplified for a short while. We are kin to the vampires of the Warycian Mountains, but unlike them, we do not require blood to sustain us over longer periods of time, nor do we live eternally. We do not fear sunlight, and have no natural allergies. This, my dear Fane, is my gift to you.”
I stared at her, unsure of what to say. I figured, there wasn’t really anything I could say. I just nodded and let her finish. She didn’t say much else about that but went on to asking me about my other gifts, as well as what my father had thought of all my accomplishments. I told her the details, and she was proud of me. It was a great pleasure for me and I didn’t really know what else to do, so I hugged her and then left. It was getting late and I needed to sleep.

It was several days before I understood what my mother meant, late at night, after I fell asleep I experienced a very vivid dream, one that I could have sworn was real. Standing in my chambers, dressed in a simple black shift, I felt a craving for something that I could not explain. A taste unfamiliar to me, yet something I knew I should understand.
I could feel things I could never feel before, my hair stood on edge as these new sensations swept over me. I could hear the faint sounds of talking down the hall, the voices of the servants were as loud as if they stood right next to me.
When I placed my hand on the handle of my door to push it open, I felt the smallest of details in the metal handle. I thought it was odd, but something about it just felt right, like I had been missing out on all these things throughout my entire life. When I opened the door, I felt the air rush into the room, the cold breeze raising bumps on my skin. It was then that I smelled it…
Blood…
I stepped into the hall, looking first left, and then right, and then stalked off towards the sound of the voices. Growing louder, I knew that the servants were near, and that they never suspected their inevitable doom. The hunger was growing, I lost judgment, control, and all my senses overwhelmed me as I leapt from the shadows, my claws raking the back of a male servant as I sent him flying first face into the ground at the female’s feet.
I leapt the body of the screaming servant and latched my claws into the girl’s shoulders, penetrating the skin and muscle, digging down to the bone. She attempted to scream out in pain, but my right hand smashed across her jaw so hard her neck snapped and her jaw hung loosely as she fell to the ground in a heap, bleeding from profuse wounds.
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm

The man had gotten to his feet, ready to ward me off, fear in his eyes. I could smell it upon him, but the smell of the blood rushed to my head, throwing me into a berserk frenzy.
I rushed forward, and as he raised his arms to ward me off of his chest and face, I dug my claws into his sides, right about where his kidneys would be, lifting and propelling him through the air to slam into a wall behind him. Tears streamed down his cheeks from the pain as he tried vainly to cry out for help, but nothing helped him as my foot slammed into his throat as he attempted to sit up.
He opened and closed his mouth, attempting to pull air into his lungs, but all he did was swallow blood from his mutilated throat. I bent down next to him, wiping my finger on the wound, and placing it in my mouth. The taste of the blood was glorious, and before I knew it, I had latched onto his neck, draining what blood I could.
I heard distant shouts and then I awoke.
When I sat up, pain burst through my face and I realized that I was bleeding everyone. My mouth had been cut horribly bad and my fingers were bleeding where my fingernails had grown into pointed daggers. My legs and sides bled where I assumed they had clawed my while I slept, and then I screamed.
As the door burst open, I fell into darkness.

“She’ll be fine!” someone shouted, the voice was familiar, yet my head was pounding so bad I couldn’t figure out who it was, and my vision was so blurry that I just closed my eyes as soon as I opened them. “Trust me, all girls go through this.”
“I’ve never once in my life seen any girl have this happen,” someone else replied angrily.
“Of course not, the Mar’thak are not like Viccarii that is for certain. This is perfectly normal, though more bloody than usual. True Viccarii have bodies more readily adaptable to the changes that occur so rapidly. With her Mar’thak blood she did not gain all the necessary traits to keep her safe in this.
“She has lost a great deal of blood, but I can certainly say that she will survive. Just retrieve that slave I ordered brought here and all will be well, I promise you.”
Someone growled angrily and I heard the door open, “You had better be certain. I did not go through all the trouble of raising her to let her die because of your heritage. That is ridiculous! She is strong, you fix her!”
I could not figure out who was yelling at whom, or how many people were around me, but I knew for certain now that it was my mother and father that were yelling back and forth. I could also assume that father’s doctor was here as well; I figured that by the bandages all over my body and the cloth stuffed in my mouth to staunch the bleeding.
“No you fool! Do not stitch her up; just bring me that stupid slave. Honestly, the city is full of them, how on earth can’t you get just one?”
“I’m sorry my lady,” a third voice answered, obviously the doctor.
The door opened again, and I heard two or three people enter, the clanging of armor signaled that it was the guards, and likely they had the slave my mother had been ordering. I was uncertain of what she intended, but I had a good idea.
“Alright, leave her with me, the rest of you get out!” my mother shouted and I heard the men rushing the get out of the room.
“Ok, be a good dear and come over here,” my mother said softly to the girl. “Look at her, this is my daughter, and you are going to help her get better. You will not be hurt, but you might feel a bit awkward afterwards.”
There was a short pause, and then I felt the gauss being pulled from my mouth. It hurt unbelievably, and I honestly could not imagine a more intense pain, but a moment later I felt something warm and wet dripping on my lips and into my mouth. It tasted strange, somewhat sweet and thick; I didn’t know what it was at first, but strange warmth filled my body and the pain started to subside. I sighed with relief.
“There, see. She will be much better now, thanks to your help. Since you are a slave, you are now bound to her. When she needs you, you will help her. Understood? It might be never, and it might be often. I cannot say, but I do believe that you will find my daughter’s company most pleasant. She isn’t like most of these foul beasts that scourge these lands.”
Again another pause before my mother bent down over me and I felt my eye peeled open, “Open your eyes dear or they will never readjust to the real world.”
I forced my eyes open; the pain was bad, but not nearly as bad as it had been a while ago. My body still ached, but it was getting steadily better. After a few moments my eyes adjusted and I could see clearly, though my eyes still watered and fuzzed the edges of my vision.
I let my tongue feel around my mouth. Already the wounds were scabbing over, or at least closing up in some form. It was very strange to me. I looked around the room, my mother was there, and so was the girl, who was very strange looking, but no one else. I wondered where father had gone and assumed he left with the others.
I opened my mouth to speak, but my mother put a finger to my lips to stop me, “Don’t talk yet. You’ll need to remain still or the wounds won’t heal as quickly. You have just experienced what is known as your first Blood Call.”
I nodded weakly and she continued:
“Over time, I will teach you to control the changes of your body, to understand what is happening, and when I am done, you will be able to wield these new changes as weapons. Your claws will be as sharp as steel, capable of penetrating the hardest of armor, your teeth can tear skin and muscle if necessary, and your bite will be paralytic. You must know though, this is hard to control and sometimes, you can lose yourself and become very much like the vampires. Don’t let that happen.”
I nodded again.
“Good, now get some sleep. We’ll have some talking to do when you wake.”
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:34 am

Chapter 2
I did wake, and when I did my mother was sitting there next to me. We talked for a while and she explained many things to me. My father came a little later to see me, which made me feel better. He had been worried about me, and that was not something I often saw from him.
Several days later, I was up and perfectly healed again. Not even a scar from where I had been wounded by myself. My mother said that was one of the good things, there were many bad, but at least no Viccarii female had to worry about scars marring her body, though I already had a few from other ordeals.
When I was better, it was time to put my father’s plan into action. I dressed in a fairly formal set of clothing, and we made our way down to the district of the societies. When there, we visited the Society of Darkblades, and I must admit, I was genuinely enthralled with their place.
I stood outside, staring at the building that was very similar to an Elvin cathedral in structure, though it had been given the standard Mar’thak make over, adding all the grotesque and evil things that they were likely to have.
When I followed my father and the small contingent of armored guards up to the doorway, I noticed that what I previously mistook for statues of cloaked men were in fact – cloaked men.
It was odd how they stood so perfectly still, their eyes watching everyone and everything that passed before them, taking in every detail that happened to appear. I wondered then what their purpose was…
I stepped between the two men who still refused to move and entered the building. Inside it was dark and actually did appear to be a cathedral of some sort. Row upon row of pews, some filled and some unoccupied, large pillars that rose to the ceiling which was painted in the most grotesque and macabre scenes of death and assassination I had ever seen. The sight sent shivers up my spine.
“Alright Fane, this is the Darkblade’s headquarters here in Drak’soul. You will be talking with one of the headmen. He and I have come to an agreement of sorts, and he will tell you about it. I have also made the same agreement with several other societies which we will visit in the next few days. Ah, here he comes. Go now and do not screw this up,” my father said as he turned towards the robed man approaching us.
The man bowed, “Dread Lord. A pleasure you could attend us.”
“Of course,” my father replied with a slight bow of his head.
“And Fane, you are quite the young lady from what I’ve heard. Talented… and beautiful,” the robed man replied.
I hardly noticed the comment, I was trying to peer into the man’s hood, but no matter what I did or how I tried to shift the light with my positioning, his face was obscured by shadow. How frustrating!
“Oh, thank you,” I replied, still enthralled by whatever kept this man hidden.
He must have noticed, because he commented on it almost immediately, “It’s a skill of the Darkblades, to keep our identities hidden from those outside the society. Dread Lord, if you would excuse us, your daughter and I have much to discuss.”
My father bid him farewell, and when he turned to leave I saw him give me a look that indicated I was to take this very seriously. And I did.
I learned that the man’s name was Grand Master Arius, and he had been the head of the Darkblades for the last five years. He told me of my father’s plan as well.
Apparently, in order to keep my mother and the rest of them happy, my father requested that each of the societies and guilds of his choice sent a teacher to me at my tower, where I would spend time every day with them, learning what they had to teach me. My father hoped that by doing this, I would become widely versed in many things, and I figured I would.
Arius then explained to me what the Darkblades were really about.
As he figured, the Darkblades were formed several thousand years ago, several hundred after the death of Agnor the Uniter, one of the first Dread Lords of the Mar’thak kingdom. They were initially set up as spies to keep tabs on most of the surrounding countries, but eventually, the Dread Lords began calling upon them to perform intricate assassinations, and carry out detailed plots to disrupt the opposition.
They had been very small at first, but later, when a man named Grand Master Etru took over, the Darkblades had gone to war against a similar guild of Elvin nature, and had triumphed, especially during one battle where it was said the very hand of the Dark Lady took part and crushed the enemy. And thus the Darkblades set up their code to follow the will of the Dark Lady.
After he was done explaining what the Darkblades were all about, we moved onto different things. He showed me some of the training that the members went through. It looked fairly difficult, but required more precision and skill than strength or ferocity. I figured that it might suit me well enough.
After the tour was done, we returned to the main chamber where my father was waiting. Ruen smiled at our return, bid the master farewell, and then we left. The guards outside still hadn’t moved an inch. How frustrating!

The next day I visited the Magehunter’s society. They were far less known than the Darkblades, thought they had the grandeur and arrogance down well. It seemed that while I visited, every member there was looking down on me, as if I were unworthy of their presence, but the young man who led me around named Azaleas seemed to actually like me. Oh well…
I learned the history of the Magehunters, which was quite splendid to be sure, though likely polished up by some of the predecessors. From what Azaleas told me, the society had been formed several hundred years ago during the Third Great War to combat the Elvin spell casters.
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:35 am

They had done a splendid job, wielding many weapons that were beneficial in combating mages, but even though they did a great deal of damage to the Elvin magic divisions, they were worthless in about everything else.
Again, I received a tour, and this time I was less impressed, because I really didn’t get a good idea of what they were really about. It just seemed that they sat around.
When Azaleas returned me to my father, I told him I didn’t really like them that much, and he agreed, saying that we wouldn’t work with them.
Over the next week or two, I was sent to several other places, but I only really found two others that I liked. One was based on the use of ranged weapons, such as bows, and javelins, and the other focused entirely melee combat. My father approved of both, so in the following weeks I received my new teachers.
There was a very impressive man from the Warrior’s guild who told me he had just attained master status, so he was now Master Joryn. I was very enthralled with him. Over time he proved to be a very lethal man and extremely talented with every sort of weapon given to him. Oh, how I envied him.
My teacher from the Warhawk society was a girl of about thirty who was very talented as well; she went by the name and title of Adept Imriel. She impressed me with her use of most ranged weapons, though my own skill with the bow was nearly equal to hers, so we focused on different weapons and techniques, and I found that I especially liked javelins.
When my teacher from the Darkblades arrived I was surprised to see that it was the Grand Master himself. I figured that he was more interested in political gain from teaching me and being this close to the Dread Lord than teaching me anything, but overtime he proved to be invaluable and his teachings were far more interesting than that of the others.
I will admit, I wouldn’t let him teach me anything until I learned how to obscure my face as he did. He told me that it was derived entirely from the Mar’thak innate magic, and he was skeptical of my abilities to control it, but I proved him wrong after a time. When I had finally mastered it, I showed off to Auskoth who applauded and congratulated me.
After the weeks it took to learn what most Mar’thak could learn in several days, Uriel began teaching me the thousand ways to kill a man. I will say, they were very interesting and we went through many slaves before I was capable of performing what he called “the question”. It was a series of tortures that were excruciatingly painful and horrible for the person being questioned.
Time passed and I spent more and more time with the teacher’s, but there was one other thing I had to spend time with, and that was S’ath. Hal warned me that unless I started early training him, the Krin would never obey any of my commands. So I did.
The first day we spent down in the stables had been quite interesting and I will say it was an experience I will remember for the rest of my life; I have no doubt of that.
Hal was waiting for me with torch in hand, and I followed him into the private stables with Auskoth close at heel. I had of course invited my brother to come see my young Krin. He had accepting without thinking, as he usually did with my requests lately, and had followed me down silently.
“He’s been well taken care of Fane, I’m certain that when he gets bigger he will be a fierce companion for you,” Hal stated.
“I sure hope so; S’ath will be one of the best Krin on the battlefield when I’m done with him!” I replied.
“Aye Fane, but first you’ll have to surpass Krahn, my Krin. I will tell you he is a big brute, and by far one of the toughest Krin in the Drak’soul regiment,” Auskoth stated.
It was the first time he had spoke since we had come down, and I rounded on him, facing him and attempting to draw myself up to stand face to face with my huge brother, “S’ath will be better than yours. I guarantee!”
He laughed at me, “Alright Fane. We shall see.”
Hal motioned for me to follow him and I did. We found S’ath munching happily on what was left of a leg of an unidentifiable source. When we approached he looked up and made some sort of throaty croaking noise that reminded me of a dog barking.
“We feed them horse meat when they’re young. It makes them more apt to tear apart the enemies’ riders than usual,” Hal stated as he bent down and grabbed a stone bowl from the floor.
“You should see them Fane, when the Krin charge, horses know they are done for,” Auskoth explained as Hal dumped the bowl into a large barrel of water and then placed it back in the pen.
I nodded and watched S’ath tear one of the last remaining hunks of meat from the bone. He was small compared to the others his age, but there was something about him that told me that his size wouldn’t matter in the end.
“He’s kind of a runt…” Auskoth stated blandly.
I turned around and punched him in the chest. It wasn’t a hard punch, but it got my point across, though it only made him laugh and hug me, “You’re a runt too sister, don’t forget it.”
I smiled faintly and kicked him in the shin, “These runts will show you that just because we’re small it doesn’t mean we’re any less than you.”
Auskoth rubbed his sore leg, “I’m sure you will Fane, I’m sure you will.”

It was nearing the end of the year and I was learning so much that my head hurt and I would have hardly sleep at night if it wasn’t for the exhaustion. But as it was nearing the end of the year, it would soon be time for me to go on my raids to show what I was truly made of. We would spend a year on the field combating whatever foes we were at war with at the time, and return only when we had gathered enough plunder, slaves, and glory that we could hardly move.
My father was gathering together the necessary people to get the planning underway, and I realized then, that I was not the only person who was going on my first raid. There were several others who had turned sixteen that year and pledged fealty to my father. Some were highborn like me, and others were lowborn, but no less fierce a fighter than any highborn, and often more so since they were usually intent on proving themselves better that highborn – when possible.
In the center of the war room was a massive table carved in the likeness of the Mar’thak kingdom showing its borders, cities, roads, forests, mountains, lakes, rivers and everything else anyone could ever consider being necessary on the map was carved and painted with great detail, and along the edges of the Mar’thak kingdom were just as
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:35 am

detailed sections of the surrounding lands. In the south, around the edge of the Sea of Dragons was the Elvin kingdom of Gilneas, to the west, the mountainous home of the vampires and other undead creatures known as the Maurhaunt. Far in the direct east one would find a small border of the kingdom of humans often referred to as the bulwark for their massive walls and defensive structures they had erected to keep the Mar’thak out of their lands; but to the north and east were the most hated of all Mar’thak enemies.
The Rohyr…
They were a race of light worshiping weaklings and paladins who had been mortal enemies of the Mar’thak for countless centuries. Their massive fortress of Whisperwind sat in the mountains that reached above the clouds, barring any entrance into their lands. Only one Mar’thak Dread Lord had ever penetrated the fortress of Whisperwind, and a powerful Rohyr army on the other side had crushed him and his men.
It was said that he was the greatest of all Mar’thak warlords. I could not remember his name, but I knew that it was believed he had conjured an avatar of the Dark Lady herself and smashed the walls of Whisperwind, but on the otherside, the Rohyr spell weavers had sealed the avatar within an orb. With the avatar’s fall, the Mar’thak invasion crumbled, but not before the orb was retrieved.
That orb now sat in the Mar’thak capitol, and every year before the raids, the ones like Fane would be given another ceremony, and at the end, they would touch the orb and hopefully receive the blessing of the Dark Lady. Fane’s ceremony was scheduled the day before she left on the raids.
“I feel that our fighting with Gilneas has been going exceptionally well, it would be the perfect place to raid,” an old man stated.
Another general laughed, “Gilneas has become fiercer and the elves are repelling all our attacks, you can’t honestly believe that a raid there would be successful.”
The first scowled at him, “And why not? If they are busy fighting our main forces a raid will undoubtedly drawn a portion away, that would give our armies an advantage and even give the raiders a chance for some glory.”
The second general sighed and was about to respond when a third cut him off, “Attack the Maurhaunt. We cannot send any more raids at the Rohyr, they have pulled back within Whisperwind for whatever reason, and the humans have reinforced their bulwark with extra men. I don’t understand what the two of them are up to, but maybe they are no longer at peace and are expecting the other to attack.”
“Maurhaunt? You want to send our raiders against the undead? There is no plunder and there are no slaves there. It would be a waste of our forces,” the first retorted angrily.”
“How? I do not understand your thinking. Those undead have been creeping down into our lands with increased numbers. If we strike them there will be much glory,” the third answered.
“Yes, but the purpose of the raid is to allow our heirs the chance to gain the wealth necessary for them to succeed in life. You can’t expect them to get any of that from fighting the undead!” the second chimed in.
A fourth general sat staring at the map, ignoring the blundering arguments of his peers, and my father sat on a raised dais, glaring down at everyone while I stood off to the side with the rest of the new raiders.
I knew little about what they were discussing. I knew the lands they talked about, and of the people who we might raid, but I didn’t know the situations on any of them, so I listened and stored the valuable details as Master Uriel had taught me.
“Raid Gilneas by sea; the elves have put the majority of their strength in the north and the south will be lightly defended. It would be the perfect raid,” the fourth butted in suddenly.
The others looked at him and then at the map, silent with thought.
“That was my thinking,” Ruen stated from the dais. “I prefer they are sent against the weakened southern forces of the Elves who will likely just be men on battle leave or wounded soldiers. It will be relatively safe, profitable and full of glory.”
The generals agreed out of habit and the pursuit of safety from disagreeing with the Dread Lord.
“Inform the navy that we will need their ships for a raid on the south of Gilneas. I would also make sure that there are enough of our soldiers on board to keep them safe if battle would be ensued in truth,” Ruen continued,
The generals bowed and left, followed by the rest of the new raiders, but my father motioned for me to stay.
“Fane, what do you think?” he asked me as he continued to survey the map.
“I think that it’s a wonderful plan. I’ve always wanted to get my hands on those Gilneans,” I said with a rueful smile.
He chuckled, “Don’t we all? Yes, you will get your chance, and you shall also make me proud I am sure.”
I nodded and looked down at the map as he trailed his finger across the waters of the Sea of Dragons. He moved several pieces about, indicating the path of the raid, known towns capable of being raided, outposts, fortresses, cities, and other things of notable interest.
“You think that it will be successful?” I asked.
“Of course, like he pointed out, the Elves are fully taken by our forces pushing into Gilneas. You should be fairly safe, but not too safe as to avoid some fighting,” my father answered. “Hit this place right here hard, make sure that you have enough of your hold open to take in a great deal of plunder, so maybe on the way back. This place is known for its nobility count.”
I smiled at him, “Of course.”
“Next week we go to see the Dread King and get his blessing. You know how important that is right? Good, I told your mother to teach you all the things you’ll need to know.”
“Thank you Father.”
“Yes, Fane. Now get going, you have things to do I’m sure and I have preparations to make.”
I left with a deep bow.

“So, what do you think?” I asked.
“I think that you worry too much,” my mother replied.
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty

I frowned at her and then yelped as my newly acquired slave, who had apparently saved me during my Blood Call, named Haeli. I found out that she was an Elvin princess from Gilneas taken hostage by my uncle during a raid and given to my mother, and now was mine.
“Sorry, my lady,” Haeli said softly.
I grunted my reply as she tugged on my hair again. Honestly, it was one of the first times in a long time anyone actually brushed my hair decently, including me. I saw several silver strands of my hair fall into the water and plucked them out, flicking them onto the floor.
“I worry a lot, because this is very important to me, and to my father. You know how he is about these things. If I screw it up he’ll probably toss me from the great hall’s windows like Jadyn wants,” I stated.
My mother chuckled, “Don’t let that foolish girl bother you, she’s just angry because she can’t inherit the throne like you can. It’s not your fault she was gifted with excessive magical prowess.”
I frowned again. Jadyn did have promise as a sorceress… if she actually took it seriously for once. But it was just like her to put it off and never actually take the time to practice, so she remained a novice.
Two of my mother’s slaves rolled in a rack of dresses…all three of them, which were all mine. My mother looked like she had barely suppressed a shudder at the sight of them. I knew that she disproved of my more Mar’thak-like way and wished I had gone with the subtle knife-in-the-dark style of the Viccarii women instead of the hack-and-slash-till-you’re-dead of the Mar’thak. I was for once somewhat disappointed in my choice of formalwear.
My mother turned around and looked at me, and I sunk down under the water a bit until Haeli yanked me back up, “We need to get you something new, but I doubt we have the time. I don’t know any other highborn that has the same…um…physique as you in this entire place.
I understood what she meant. I wasn’t like most of the Mar’thak who were large and woman-like. I resembled more of a young girl who didn’t know that she was actually supposed to be a girl. Maybe it was because I spent so much time around all the men… Who knows!
“I think the black one will be fine…” I whispered before childishly blowing bubbles in the water, which tasted horrible.
My mother scowled at the thing with a look that literally could have set it afire, but it didn’t, “I think you’ve worn that thing to everything for the last three years. It won’t do!”
“Well, mother, I have only a few hours before I am expected to leave. Unless you…” I started but she cut me off, pretty much reading my thoughts.
“Yes, I will get them to come with and make you a new dress on the way,” my mother finished.
I groaned, “Why can’t I just…”
I yelped again as Haeli yanked my hair and I hit the back of my head against the metal tub. I would have turned around and beat her senseless if I hadn’t seen my mother motion for her to do it. As much as I wanted to beat someone bloody, Haeli was too well mannered for me to do that to her, and my mother saw what I wanted.
“I can have one of my slaves brought up for you… You could try all your new things that that Uriel has been teaching you,” She said with a blank face.
I shook my head and then just to get even splashed as much water as I could up over my head, soaking Haeli. As far as I could tell she didn’t even realize she just got drenched with the dirty water. She was probably so well brainwashed by my mother that nothing would phase her.
“I’ll need to have the tailors come measure you, though; by the looks of it your last measurements would still fit you. We’ll have them make you a more womanly dress than these girly ones,” my mother stated.
“No!” I blurted. “Keep it simple. I’m not trying to seduce the Dread King, just look formal enough.”
My mother frowned. I knew she just wanted what was best for me, and she tried hard. I loved her for it, but it was getting a little bothersome these days. She was constantly trying to make a Viccarii out of me, and it just wouldn’t work!
“I wonder what it will be like…the castle I mean. Aelephos is said to be one of the greatest creations in the entire world. It’s a flying city after all…”
My mother smiled at me, but I could tell she was still sad about the dresses, “Aelephos was made by the Viccarii. After it was made, that foul demon that that Mar’thak Dread Lord summoned raised the city off the ground, forming a portal in each of the great cities. It made the city nigh impregnable, though no one has ever had the chance to test it. I’m quite certain you will love it dear.”
I nodded and leaned forward as Haeli pushed on my neck, then winced as she scraped at my back with a hard brush.
I heard my mother whisper something, it sounded vaguely like: “Yes, Fane… you will love it.”

Contrary to my belief, my mother was capable of getting a dress made within a couple hours, managed to actually get me to wear it, and then literally drug me screaming through the portal to Aelephos.
As soon as I was pulled through the gel-like portal, I stopped screaming and stared at the city. I was unsure if what I was seeing were actually the tops of the walls or just… I wasn’t even certain. My mother led me through the gates by my hand, still practically dragging me, this time because I was inspecting the guards. They glowered at my scrutiny as I pointed out flaws in their armor and the like.
“Come on Fane, or we’re going to be late.”
I snapped out of my reverie and followed my mother towards the castle at the center of Alephos. The city was absolutely monstrous. In the center was what remained of a mountain, but the giant fortress of Aelephos where the Dread King resided disguised that now.
“In here, Fane! Gods have mercy on you girl, pay attention!” my mother yelled as I wandered off again, but then Haeli herded me into the building on the right side of the street.
Once inside, an old lady and several younger ones who ushered us into an intricate spell-circle greeted us. Before I knew what was going on, they were chanting
Back to top Go down
Fairemont

Fairemont

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 am

and light enveloped us. Moments later we were standing in a similar circle inside the fortress.
I felt like barfing up my lunch, but I was capable of holding it down.
“Welcome to the Citdel,” A guard greeted us and let us through a door.
We entered a curved hallway that was apparently on the exterior of the massive fortress. The outside wall was an entire glass window with a very faint picture of a massive battle on it. I rushed over and looked out. The houses below seemed so small that I felt I could smash then entire city with one hand, and this was a huge city, and I was really high up.
“Come on Fane, we don’t want to be late,” my mother chided.
I nodded and walked along the window, gazing out over the city. The massive walls that had once protected the city from invasion were much larger than I though. They were ridiculously large and I couldn’t even begin to comprehend how they would have constructed walls so large.
I heard a door open but kept walking, enthralled with the view, but a moment later Haeli yanked on my arm and drug me through the door after my mother. We had entered a small chamber where several other highborns waited. They were the other raiders waiting for their blessings.
I didn’t know any of them, but they scowled at me and I just glared back. They weren’t too pleased to have me among their group. I figured that I didn’t really care; when the raids began these boys would be under my command. That put a smile on my face.
“Alright now Fane, it is almost time,” my mother whispered to me and just to prove her right, a herald entered through the large doors opposite us and motioned for the group of boys. They would go before me since they weren’t royalty like me, just plain highborns.
I sighed and waited for my turn. It seemed like it lasted forever, but in reality, was only about fifteen minutes. By my calculations, it took the three boys five minutes each to receive their blessings. Hopefully that was all; I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible. I was already feeling extremely uncomfortable.
Once more the herald opened the door and poked his head in, “We’re ready for you, don’t keep them waiting. I will introduce you when you come.”
My mother pushed me forward and Haeli smirked. I saw it! Oh she’d get it for that, but as I slipped through the gap in the doors I heard the herald calling out my name to everyone.
“It is my pleasure to introduce Lady Fane Del’Mireth Lokkur and Lady Mellisandre Del’Mireth of Drak’soul,” the herald shouted, his voice loud and clear.
I almost started to gawk at the surroundings, there were so many people that I actually just wanted to turn around and run away, but with my mother there, and my father watching, and that pitiful elf Haeli waiting on the other side of the door, I dared not. I figured by my third step I was as red as could be.
It took what seemed like an entire minute to cross the great hall of the Dread King before I knelt down before him. When my father wore his armor and sat upon his throne, I will admit, he was scary, but this man was just down right terrifying!
Larger than any Mar’thak I had ever seen, he was encased in massive plate armor that made him appear even bigger. Like a god he stood, and when he did, everyone knelt as one, except for me since I was already kneeling.
“You have come before me seeking my blessing, but why would I give it to you? You are no true Mar’thak, what would my blessings mean to you?” the Dread King asked me.
I was not ready for the question… I hadn’t expected it at all, and neither had my mother. She looked absolutely outraged and many of the people gasped. I straightened up and looked at the Dread King who glared at me, just daring me to give up.
“It is true that my mother is not Mar’thak, that she is Vaccarii, but I have lived in your kingdom all my life, I have served with the men of Drak’soul, trained with them, ate with them and spent time among the people. I may not be a true Mar’thak through blood, but in my heart I am nothing else,” I said firmly, the words seemingly just flowing from my lips.
The Dread King smiled, “Rise Fane, and receive my blessings.”
The entire crowd cheered, a booming roar that shook the hall. I don’t know what they cheered for really… I doubt any of them knew me, but I guess the fact that I stood up to the Dread King was enough for them to cheer about.
“I serve the Dark Lady as her presence on this land, and by the power that she has granted me, I give to you my blessing and that of the Dark Lady. As you stand before me, you are a true Mar’thak, not by blood, but by heart and soul and that is what truly makes you one of us,” he stated and motioned for a man holding a black orb on a velvet pillow. “Place your hands on this orb and feel the presence of the Dark Lady, take from it the power you’ll need in the time to come, take what is yours by right of the Mar’thak. Claim your heritage!”
His voice rose louder and louder as he continued. I felt so small in his presence. As the orb was held out before me I reached out tentatively and placed my hands on the thing. The instant it connected I felt something strange, and then the world fell apart.
My vision swirled and faded, and in the span of an instant I saw countless images of pain and struggle, and then the visage of the great demon Achrynoth, the incarnation of the Dark Lady herself burned itself into my vision and I screamed in terror. With a thunderous boom the room shook violently and I was thrown back several meters to land painfully on my stomach.
I pushed myself to my feet and noticed that the entire crowd was kneeling, with the exception of the Dread Lord.
“Fane, you have been blessed. I have never seen such a thing like this before. You will strike for Gilneas at sunrise, and bring the presence of the Dark Lady to our enemies!”
“Fane! Fane the blessed!” someone in the crowd called out and the cheer went up throughout the entire hall.
Something felt wrong inside me, I couldn’t figure out what it was, but I didn’t feel blessed. I felt cursed. It was only then that I heard the voice for the first time.
“Thank you for releasing me Fane. Don’t look so shocked. I cannot harm you, not unless you let me. But, we will be stuck together for a little while. I am Achrynoth, and I have a proposition for you.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fane's Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fane's Redemption   Fane's Redemption Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fane's Redemption
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Clan WKRE Forums! :: General Forum :: Stories/Comics/Art forums-
Jump to: